The GREEN Olympiad
The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) formally established in 1974 has created an environment that is enabling, dynamic and inspiring for the development of solutions to global problems in the fields of energy, environment and current patterns for sustainable development.
The GREEN Olympiad is being organised by TERI annually since 1999 and reaches out to the remotest parts of India. The examination contributes to the enhancement of environment quotient of students. The programme has enabled strategic alliances with the Ministry of Environment and Forests, Govt. of India, Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE), Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan (KVS), Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti (NVS), Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan (BVB) and Army Welfare Education Trust.
The GREEN Olympiad is also endorsed by UNESCO- DESD. It covers a broad range of topics such as water, energy, air, forest, biodiversity, climate, global warming, sustainable development, and current affairs pertaining to environment. The examination helps in creating awareness amongst students on key environmental issues.
The purpose of this programme is to sensitize students on environmental issues, inculcate the right values and attitudes about the environment around them, and help them to grow as responsible citizens. The project implementation is being done in cities, townships, villages, tribal areas and as such all strata of the Indian society in its cultural and ethnic diversity.
Over the years, the programme has evolved and strengthened into an asset of immense potential.. The GREEN Olympiad is viewed as a dynamic school programme and the momentum created by this activity needs to be sustained and strengthened.
This project features in the ‘Limca Book of Records’ as India’s first environment examination. The GREEN Olympiad has made a place for itself in the academic calendar of the schools. Awareness of pressing environment issues is spread amongst children and thus, they relate their day-to-day activities to the changes that they see and experience around them. The information that they gain through participation in the Olympiad is clearly translated into environment improvement activities at the school level.
The website (www.teriin.org/olympiad) features sections on the GREEN Olympiad examination, its history, sample papers, contact information, partners in the programme, TERRAQUIZ and other relevant information about the programme.
The countries which participated in the GREEN Olympiad 2013 are: India, Sultanate of Oman, United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, Qatar, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Indonesia, Russia, Singapore, Nepal, Bhutan and Mexico D.F
More about ‘GREN Olympiad 2014’
- Theme for GREEN Olympiad 2014 is ‘Our Natural Resources’
- The examination will be held on September 3, 2014 and
October 15, 2014 (school can opt for only one of these dates)
- The examination is open to students from classes VIII, IX and X
- The examination can be taken either in English or Hindi.
- Each school will be the centre for its registered participants
- Each school can nominate any number of students for this examination. However, participation of a minimum number of 20 students is mandatory
- Roll numbers will be notified on the project website (www. teriin.org/olympiad) upon completion of the registration process
- Individual registration from students will not be accepted
- The registration deadline is July 31, 2014
- Certificate of Merit/Distinction will be awarded to meritorious, top performing students (according to their marks). Participation certificates will be awarded to all participating students
- The ‘Registration Form’ and other details can be viewed, and downloaded from the project website: www.http://teriin.org/olympiad
The GREEN Olympiad (Junior) for students from classes IV & V will also be organised in the month of December 2014.