The Effect of Technology on Classroom Management
The world today is powered by technology, and hence it is no surprise that technology has found a permanent place in classrooms. Facilitators and instructors use a wide range of technological tools for easy and efficient classroom management. In this article, we shall explore the various tools used by facilitators to manage their classrooms.
Let us take a look at some of the reasons why facilitators are now leaning towards the use of technology in classroom management:
- With the use of technology, the Facilitator’s role is more instructional as data is already presented in a structured manner. This helps the facilitator conduct the lesson in a more organised and focused way.
- Learners spend less time taking down facilitator’s notes and as a result, they are more attentive and engaged in the classroom. Learners can follow the lessons on their own devices. Notes made by the facilitator are sent by mail to the learners.
- As technology takes care of the learning material, this gives the facilitator more scope to interact actively with the learners and pay attention to individual needs.
- By creating fun and interactive lessons, facilitators hope to engage learners better.
- Technology is not only useful in creating lesson plans, but also in grading and assessment by using spreadsheets or other programmes.
- It allows facilitators to connect with parents regularly and keep them abreast of their child’s activities.
Facilitators today have many opportunities to integrate the use of technology in classroom management. The technological tools used by facilitators can be broadly divided into the following categories:
This is effective when each learner has their own device. Learners can complete assignments on their laptops or can use them under the facilitator’s guidance for research purposes. If assignments are given out during class, the facilitator must make sure that all the learners are working on it at the same time. Facilitators also have to be careful to prevent misuse of the laptop. By installing certain software, facilitators can even see all the learners’ screens during class. If the laptop is not required during a particular class, the facilitator must ensure that the screen is closed.
Facilitators use their own laptops/desktops to give out assignments, grade learners and much more, thus saving a lot of time.
Entire lessons and textbooks can be uploaded on to tablets, thus allowing the learner to easily follow the facilitator during class. Information is available at the touch of a finger, making learners more engaged and active. Tests can be administered easily via tablets. They offer access to text and reference books, audio and video resources, internet research, document preparation and review, and much more. Interactive whiteboards An interactive whiteboard is an electronic board that connects with the facilitator’s computer and can be used in many ways. Interactive whiteboards allow facilitators to write class notes digitally, so that they can be saved for the learners later.
These whiteboards allow facilitators to graphically demonstrate concepts through diagrams, charts, templates and more. They also include several study games, thus making the lessons much more engaging.
Web and social media
The Internet has opened up a world of resources for both facilitators and learners. Various software and social media apps exist today to help make the facilitator’s job easier. Learners can connect with each other online. Facilitators too can connect and share materials with their learners online. There are now even tech solutions that allow facilitators to track attendance and grades and make these available to parents and learners to view from home.
A projector is a great addition to the classroom. It consists of a mounted projector that allows facilitators to share material from their own laptop with the entire class. It could be presentations, videos, activities and much more. This is an interactive tool that keeps children wellengaged.
Printer and scanner
A printer cum scanner is extremely useful for facilitators in many ways, even though projects are conducted on an electronic device.
Facilitators can use a digital camera for classroom projects and to even document classroom activities. The use of these mediums will enable facilitators and learners to communicate smoothly with each other and ensure that an exchange of ideas occurs at a faster pace, with better understanding. As the learner is engaged most of the time, it leads to less classroom interruptions and disruptions.