Nutritious ‘N’ Yummy RecipesFor School Cafeterias
Written By: The Progressive Teacher|
January 3, 2015|
Super Protein Toast
Soaked ground dals are cooked till crumbly and full of flavour to make a marvellous topping for toast!
Serves 4Nita Mehta
8 slices of brown bread – cut each into 2 regular pieces
¼ cup gram lentils (channa dal),
¼ cup dhuli urad dal
2 tbsp oil
½ tsp mustard seeds (rai)
1 small onion – finely chopped
1 small potato – boiled and grated
2 tbsp finely chopped coriander
½ tsp ginger paste, ¾ tsp salt
1. Soak dals overnight. Drain.
2. Grind the dals together to a fine paste.
3. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds. After they stop spluttering, add onion and cook onion till golden.
4. Now add the dals and keep stirring for about 6-8 minutes till absolutely dry and crumbly.
5. Add ginger, potato, coriander and salt. Mix thoroughly. Remove from fire and allow to cool. Add 2 tbsp water to make it of spreading consistency.
6. Now spread the mixture evenly on each bread slice.
7. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan, swirl to coat the pan well. Put 2 pieces of bread at a time in oil with the dal side in oil first. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
Turn over and cook the other side also. Cut into 2 pieces to serve.
Easy Cheesy Broccoli Balls
Boiled potatoes and bread crumbs are used for binding, and crushed cornflakes for the crisp coating of these deep-fried balls – nobody can guess that there is a healthy green vegetable inside!
1 cup very finely chopped broccoli (hari gobhi) – boiled for 2 minutes
1 small onion – very finely chopped, 2 tbsp butter or olive oil,
1 tsp garlic paste
1 small potato – boiled and grated, ½ tsp oregano, ½ tsp salt
¼ cup grated cheddar cheese, 1 bread slice – grind in a mixer to get fresh bread crumbs
¾ cup crushed cornflakes – roughly crushed with a belan
4 tbsp milk
1. Heat oil in a kadhai. Add onion and cook till soft.
2. Add garlic paste and saute for 1 minute.
3. Add potato, oregano, & salt & blanched broccoli. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Remove from fire.
4. Add cheese & fresh bread crumbs. Mix well. Let the mixture come to room temperature.
5. Now shape them into small balls, keep them aside.
6. Spread cornflakes in a plate.
7. Moisten each ball slightly with some milk.
8. Roll each ball in the crushed cornflakes to cover the ball completely.
9. Deep fry in hot oil. Serve with tomato ketchup.