Nutritious ‘N’ Yummy Recipes for School Cafeterias
The importance of nutrition cannot be underestimated, more so for growing kids. Since snack break at schools is an integral meal-time for kids, it is important that they eat the right things. Here, award-winning cooking expert and cookbook author Nita Mehta shares two recipes for right nutrition.
Bread Chickpea Baskets
Learn how to make these charming bread baskets and watch the kids attack them with delight – the high-fibre, high-protein filling is so good for them!
Makes 12 baskets
12 slices of fresh wheat bread;
½ cup chickpeas (safed channa) – soaked overnight; 1 big onion – finely chopped
1 spring onion (hara pyaz) – finely chopped with the greens; 1 cup cold milk;
2 tbsp whole wheat flour (atta); ½ tsp chaat masala; ½ tsp pepper;
salt to taste; 2 tbsp softened butter; ½ cup grated
cheddar cheese; 1 tsp tomato sauce;
a muffin tray or any other ovenproof moulds
- Pressure cook channas with 2 cups water and 1 tsp salt. Cook till 1 whistle and reduce heat. Cook on slow flame for 15 minutes. Remove from fire.
- Lightly grease the muffin pans.
- Cut each bread slice into a big round piece with a big cookie cutter or a sharp lid of any big jar. The cutter should be bigger than the muffin cup.
- Roll out each round with a rolling pin, applying a little pressure. Brush the bread rounds with some oil.
- Place the bread rounds into the muffin tray cups, keeping the oiled side up. Grill cups for 10 minutes till edges turn golden. Remove baskets from tray. Cool.
- Heat 2 tbsp butter in a heavy pan. Add onion, stir fry till golden for 5 minutes.
- Drain channas. Add boiled channas and stir for 2 minutes. Add flour. Mix well for a few seconds. Add milk stirring continuously, for a minute with the other hand till it boils and turns thick for 3-4 minutes. Add salt, pepper, and chaat masala. Cook till the mixture starts coating the back of a spoon. Take off the pan from heat. Add grated cheese and 1 tsp tomato sauce.
- To serve, put some chickpea filling into each bread basket.
- Sprinkle some spring onion.
- Place filled baskets in the empty muffin tray.
- Grill the baskets for 2-3 minutes or till warm. Serve with sauce.
Learn how to use bread slices to make shapes that will enthrall a child and tempt her to take a bite!
2 slices of fresh whole wheat bread – remove sides
1 tsp butter
½ cup grated paneer;
¼ cup very finely chopped capsicum; 2 tbsp grated carrot;
½ tsp salt; ¼ tsp pepper; ½ tsp roasted cumin (bhuna jeera) powder; 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- Mix all ingredients of the filling together in a bowl.
- Roll the bread slice/s flat with the help of a rolling pin (belan).
- Spread the filling on each bread slice/s. Start rolling to form a tube.
- Brush rolls with melted butter. Keep the rolls tightly rolled up in a damp cloth for 15 minutes or till serving time.
- To serve, cut into 1” thick pieces/tyres. Preheat grill for 5 minutes and then grill paneer tyres for 10-12 minutes till crisp.