Digital learning & discipline
The fraternity of teachers has been enthusiastically digging up the new challenge in hand, unlearning the stereotypical model to master the new, providing the learners with the innovative canvas to paint with the vibrant semblance of learning. Here are a few tips to make digital learning easy.
No doubt that the ongoing scenario has shifted the classrooms from the school infrastructure to the rectangular screens. All of us connect through the wired network, wherein the classroom protocols can be easily thwarted or be at higher risk. With the pandemic taking a toll on each circumference of life, the attitude of the students too has taken a drastic shift. While we as a community of teachers are inclined upon making the best use of the time and providing the content in the best possible manner, how sure are we of the output to our input being shared?
This is an unforeseeable time and the strategies being executed too have been applied with immediate effect, without much time accorded upon due reflection. The fraternity of teachers has been enthusiastically digging up the new challenge in hand, unlearning the stereotypical model to master the new, providing the learners with the innovative canvas to paint with the vibrant semblance of learning.
With the changing time, the demand and supply curve too has made a major shift. The plethora of platforms available online, curated by digitally acclaimed professionals, has become demanding for the schools to hit the core while marking their digital presence. The fight has made a move from backbenchers to the need to create a school-like environment in each home. In this extensively spread classroom scenario, how do teachers ensure a disciplined approach in the classroom?
- We need to accept the truth that our students are technically way ahead than us. In such a scenario teachers need to spend more time with the object on their lap and be-friend it.
- Once the relationship of friendship is established, the smooth and creative integration of the tools will help ensure effective student learning.
- Chalk out step by step plan for the virtual session to bring the students into the frame of learning.
- Arouse your spirit of enquiry to understand and learn about various pedagogical approaches and integrate them into these live sessions.
- We should not hesitate from bringing minute changes depending upon the student-directed approach.
- The lesson plan must include research-based task, brainstorming sessions, remote-controlled presentations powered by live explanation, impromptu quiz to gauge learners understanding and interaction driven learning.
- Once the lesson has been planned and the data accumulated, reviewing your plan is of utmost importance.
- You may review your data yourself or seek assistance from your colleagues.
- While auditing your lesson plan, it is significant to revisit in from the lens of the sender and the receiver, in order to ensure wholesome execution.
- We are fully aware of the need to develop a strong bond between teacher and taught, but in a scenario like this, teachers need to take a leap forward and establish a well-built connection with the parent community.
- The parents are the first-hand witness to the growth/learning of their children, thus it makes it essential for the teachers to connect with them timely and regularly.
- This will help them understand the child’s approach towards the new normal and their behavior pattern.
- Being on the same page with the parents will help to build a focused and sincere attitude in the learners toward this journey.
The lesson plan must include research-based task, brainstorming sessions, remote-controlled presentations powered by live explanation, impromptu quiz to gauge learners understanding and interaction driven learning.
Food for thought
- Feedbacks play a very crucial role in bringing the students to the same page of the teaching-learning process.
- Taking regular feedback from the learners enables them to don the stewardship and look forward to the catch-ups ahead and also it helps the teacher to plan the future lessons as per the requirement of the students.
- Culminating your lesson with an immersing and lively activity not only keeps the learners on toes for the next session but also serves as an evaluation tool to map the understanding of the learners.
- It helps the teacher to conclude the session with a sigh of relief that the objective has been judiciously achieved.
- Sharing a worksheet may also be a great idea.
Making productive use of this time requires genuine efforts. The teachers and the school should work together and challenge the self to overcome the digital hurdles to ensure discipline in the online learning environment so that both the teacher and taught collaborate to grow and learn together.
There is a need to develop a strong bond between teacher and taught, but in a scenario like this, teachers need to take a leap forward and establish a well-built connection with the parent community.
Chandani Goyal is an English language teacher with 5 years of experience. An explorer, thinker and a zealous learner at heart, she is a social enthusiast working with great zeal towards the implementation of the SDGs and seeking answers to the global educational concerns. She is also an SDG Advocate with SDG Choupal.