Community Service Activities by Modern Public School
Modern Public School, Shalimar Bagh, New Delhi, believes in the adage We make a living by what we get but we make a life by what we give and also upholds the belief that the best way to serve God is to serve humanity.Values are the seeds from which all behaviour grows. With the aim to inculcate strong values like compassion, respect, responsibility, perseverance, initiative, and integrity, the following activities are undertaken to deliver these responsibilities towards society.
- The school is an active participant of the project Roti Bank which is an initiative by a self-help group, to make society starvation free. Students and teachers bring food packets from home every day to ensure that the underprivileged section of the society gets a square meal a day. This initiative has made the project Right to Food a reality.
- The school, in collaboration with an NGO ‘Sarthak Prayas’ is running Nav Chetna Shiksha Kendra , an educational centre after school hours for the underprivileged sections of the society from the neighborhood area.
- A team headed by the Principal, Ms Alka Kapur, along with other members of society donates blankets and other necessary commodities like thermals, caps, socks, etc. to the less privileged class near ISBT area every year on the occasion of Christmas.
- Monthly donation of minimum Rs. 1 for students and Rs. 50 for teachers is mandatory. The amount collected is used for various charitable purposes. This kind gesture is nurturing the values of empathy, caring and sharing for humanity amongst the students. It not only gives pleasure to life but also peace of the mind and immense satisfaction when a gloomy day becomes a cheerful one for the needy.
- Campaigns are carried out against social evils and social concerns like Save the Environment, Rain Water harvesting, Tree Plantation,etc thus preparing the students to shoulder their responsibility towards the nation.
- The Eco Club of the school organizes anti cracker rally to promote Green Diwali annually. It is the responsibility of the members of the ECO Club to ensure minimum wastage of resources and thus perform their duty not only towards the school but the planet as well.
- The Interact Club has joined hands with Social Upliftment and Life Support Foundation (a charitable trust) and donates old books to the underprivileged.
- Ms. Alka Kapur regards the law of nature as Supreme Guide. She has set the template for a futuristic Green School wherein students learn sustainability from the school’s day to day teaching and learning practices. Various projects like Save Water Campaign, Save Tiger, etc are undertaken under her able mentorship.
It is hoped that such gestures will spread awareness and help students to make a positive contribution to the society. In the years to come this will help reduce the gap between the haves and have-nots.
Ms. Alka Kapur, the Principal is the driving force behind these initiatives. Her constant inspiration has always ignited a spark amongst the staff and students to work for such noble causes. Her passion for community service needs to be recognized and emulated by educationists all over the globe so that desirable changes can be brought about to raise the standard of living and promote dignity of labour amongst the masses.